Parents and Families

Parents and Families

My students program has on-campus components and they are required to travel to Newfoundland, am I able to travel with them?

At this time if you are travelling from outside of the Atlantic Provinces (Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or PEI) you will be required to submit a travel exemption form and self-isolate for a 14-day period once arriving in Newfoundland. More information on this can be found at the following link:


What are the COVID-19 restrictions in place in Newfoundland?

For more information on the current COVID-19 restrictions in Newfoundland and updates and information regarding the alert level system please visit


Are residence accommodations available to students?

If you have any questions or concerns about accommodations for the winter semester please reach out to our office by emailing


What is Brightspace? Is it similar to CDLI that is used in high school in Newfoundland and Labrador?

Yes, the two are the same. Brightspace is the Learning Management System that CDLI uses, and is the system that is used throughout Memorial University, including MI.


When do courses become available in Brightspace?

All courses will be available on the first day of classes, September 9th, 2020.


How should I support my student in these challenging times?

This is a unique situation for students to be in, particularly those heading to post-secondary for the first time. Please see our video on how you can support your student.


What should their at home setup look like?

A designated workspace that consists of a desk or table and chair will create an environment to get into the studying headspace. In addition, natural light, a tidy workspace and minimal distractions are great keys to success.


Is there parking available at MI?

Parking is available at MI for students who are required to come back to campus for essential on-campus components in the Winter semester. The cost for the 2020/2021 permit is $0. Information on how to apply will be emailed to your student email accounts. You can apply here:

Supports Available

My student receives academic accommodations in high school. Can they receive the same at the Marine Institute?

Yes! We have a Student Affairs Officer, Accessibility Services that can assist students with their accessibility needs. Several accommodations are available which include accommodations for tests and exams, wheelchair desks, note-taking assistance and more. For more information, please visit


Do you offer health and dental insurance to students?

Yes, all students are eligible for Health and Dental Insurance through the Marine Institute's Student Union. For more information, please visit